Keep your pets Halloween spook free by following these great tips!
Stash the Goods
Trick-or-treat candies are for humans NOT pets! Most of our favorite sugary delights are toxic to pets and can cause serious problems. Candy containing any form of chocolate or artificial sweetener xylitol is dangerous, and even lethal. If you suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, please call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 immediately.
Watch Out for Dangerous Decorations
Be aware of which decorations pose threats. A lit carved pumpkin may be festive but can easily be knocked over and start a fire or even burn curious kittens. Pumpkins and decorative corn are considered relativity non toxic, but can produce stomach discomfort in pets. Be aware of your pets surroundings and do not leave them alone with decor.
Be Cautious with Costumes
If you plan on dressing your pet up for the holiday make sure it fits properly and comfortably and doesn’t have any pieces that can easily be chewed off or interfere with your pets sight, hearing, breathing or mobility. Be sure to have your pet try on the costume beforehand. If he or she seems distressed, consider letting your pet wear his or her “birthday suite” or a festive bow or bandanna instead.
Keep Calm And Celebrate On
If your pet is wary of strangers think about keeping them in a safe separate room away from the front door especially during peak trick-or-treating hours. The front door will be open and closed several times throughout the night, be sure your dog or cat can’t dart outside. Ensure your pet has a proper visible ID tag with up to date information just in case.