The number of lost pets increases by 30% between July 4th and 6th, making July 5th one of the busiest days of the year for animal shelters nationwide. Over 7.6 million pets are lost each year and only 26% of them return safely home.
Independence day is a scary time for our furry best friends. The high-pitched squeals, thundering booms and sudden bright flashing lights of the fireworks can send even the bravest of pets running. On the Fourth our pets need our protection, help & reassurance more than ever!
Follow these great Pet Safety tips to help prevent your pet from becoming lost this summer holiday:
- Be sure your pet is wearing an up-to-date & visible ID tag at all times.
- Update your pets microchip information or get them micro chipped if they haven’t already been. (Check your local Petsense for Vet Clinic times!)
- Ask guests to keep an eye out for your pet, to be sure they don’t escape.
- Take a current photo of your pet, just in case!
- Keep charcoal fireworks, sparklers and glow sticks away from all curious pets.
- Keep pet specific treats on hand for those who want to give your pet food.
- Keep all alcoholic beverages & people food out of paw’s reach.
- During cookouts, ask all guests to play with your pet away from open flames.
- If your pet is afraid of loud noises or easily stressed, leave gently music or TV playing to cover the firework noise.
- Not all pets enjoy crowds or fireworks, keep them secured in a quiet indoor environment.
- Some pets need help to ease the stress, speak to a Petsense Pet Expert about products & remedies that can help.
- It can get hot outside! Ensure your pet has plenty of water (& shade if you’re outside!).
- DO NOT leave pets chained or caged outside.
- Try not to reward anxiety with extra attention.
- Secure all gates & doors.
- Close windows & blinds.
- HAVE FUN!